Natural Disc Treatment with our Austin Chiropractor
If you're one of the hundreds of Austin, TX residents living with back pain, we encourage you to connect with our chiropractor, Dr. Roy A. Logan. With his extensive training and experience, he's been able to diagnose and manage a variety of back pain conditions, many of which are caused by spinal disc problems.
Common Types of Disc Problems
Spinal discs are sandwiched between the vertebral bones in your spine. These discs—which help absorb shock and provide mobility in the spine—are covered on the outside with tough fibers and filled with a gel-like substance on the inside. Both acute and chronic stress can damage these tissues and lead to a disc injury, including:
- Degenerative Disc Disease: cumulative stress over time causes the disc to degrade and thin
- Bulging Disc: the inner gel-fluid bulges out of place and protrudes abnormally into the nearby joint space
- Herniated Disc: the outer fibrous layer tears, allowing the inner gel-like fluid to leak out into the nearby joint space (the term "slipped disc" is typically used interchangeably with a herniated disc or bulging disc, and doesn't describe a specific injury)
Both bulging discs and herniated discs can lead to a variety of uncomfortable symptoms—or they may not present with any signs or symptoms at all. Discs themselves are poorly innervated, so if they do cause pain it's generally because they are compressing a spinal nerve root somewhere in the spine. In this case, symptoms may include pain, numbness, weakness, and tingling in the arm or leg innervated by the pinched nerve.
While bulging discs and herniated discs can occur anywhere in the spine, they're most common in the lower neck and lower back areas. You may be more at risk for sustaining a disc injury if you are older, are overweight, sit a lot, or perform a lot of bending, twisting, and lifting tasks.
How Our Chiropractor in Austin Treats Disc Problems
Dr. Logan relies on natural and effective services to help people recover from disc injuries. Instead of masking the pain with drugs or exposing his patients to invasive procedures, he instead uses holistic techniques which help heal the injured discs in addition to resolving the symptoms.
Such services include:
- Chiropractic adjustments, including manual decompression: decompression creates a "negative pressure" environment which helps draw the inner gel material back into the disc and reduce pressure on spinal nerves
- Physical therapy, including corrective exercises to increase core stability
- Nutritional counseling, to provide the body with the raw materials needed for anti-inflammation and tissue repair
Struggling With a Disc Injury?
Call the Chiropractic Offices of Roy A. Logan at 512-213-1190 to schedule an initial consultation!